[Dixielandjazz] Hypothetical question

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Tue Nov 3 12:24:13 PST 2009

My choice would have been a great tuba player rather than a string bass
player.

I find that the drummer is the one that usually bothers me the most.  First
reason is that many are just not into OKOM and you get the flavor of
whatever he's into.  Swing drummers swing and rock drummers rock neither of
which is what I personally want.  You need a person who knows traps and when
to use them along with knowing all the styles that were around in pre
thirty's music.

How many drummers today know how to do a tango or even a street beat?
Musical taste and versatility is the trait most often lacking in drummers.
Find a really good drummer and you have something.  Another thing is that
drummers today have drum sets that just don't sound right for OKOM but
that's another topic.

Upgrading the drummer IMHO would make the most difference.  Then too, they
also can destroy a good band with bad playing.  A string bass player unless
he's really terrible just can't destroy the band.  (a bad guitar bass player
can however)
Larry
St. Louis