[Dixielandjazz] Hypothetical question

James O'Briant jobriant at garlic.com
Tue Nov 3 12:48:37 PST 2009

Ken Gates proposed the following:

> Let's say there is a 7 piece OKOM band with
> conventional front line of three instruments
> and 4 piece rhythm section. Each player is
> of satisfactory, but not extraordinary skill
> level   If ONE player were to be replaced with
> a person of the very highest skill level,
> which instrument would make the most difference
> in the upgrade of the collective sound of the group?

Ken then answered his own question:

> I'm wondering if my choice of --- string bass
> player ---is shared by anyone.

I agree, but I'd replace the string bass player with a tuba
player.

Ron L'Herault replied:

> Permanently replace (as opposed to a one night
> sub/dep) any rhythm section person with a better
> one and the better one will be worn out either
> dragging the others along or trying to hold them
> back. He or she will probably quit from the
> frustration of others not keeping a steady beat.

If the other rhythm section players weren't competent, I'd agree.
But Ken's premise that all are satisfactory players. If they're
rushing or dragging, that's not satisfactory.

Larry Walton replied:

> My choice would have been a great tuba player
> rather than a string bass player.

Again, I agree.

> I find that the drummer is the one that usually
> bothers me the most. ... Swing drummers swing
> and rock drummers rock neither of which is what
> I personally want.

Agreed. And those I've heard, who were accustomed to playing with
rock bands or big bands, have generally played far too loud for a
7-piece band.

> You need a person who knows traps and when to use
> them along with knowing all the styles that were
> around in pre thirty's music. ...
>
> Find a really good drummer and you have something.

I don't know who originated this, but I agree with it: "It takes a
VERY good drummer to be better than no drummer at all."

> Upgrading the drummer IMHO would make the most
> difference.

Alternatively, if the drummer is the least satisfactory player in
the rhythm section, in terms of style, technique, and volume, it
may be best to just eliminate drums and go with a 6-piece band.

> A string bass player unless he's really terrible
> just can't destroy the band.  (a bad guitar bass
> player can however)

But hopefully, nobody is thinking of using a bass guitar to
replace the tuba or string bass in a trad jazz band.

Jim O'Briant
Gilroy, CA
Tuba, Jelly Roll Jazz Band
	(6 players -- no drums)