[Dixielandjazz] Hypothetical question

Ron L'Herault lherault at bu.edu
Tue Nov 3 12:04:58 PST 2009

What follows is speculation on my part.

Permanently replace (as opposed to a one night sub/dep) any rhythm section
person with a better one and the better one will be worn out either dragging
the others along or trying to hold them back. He or she will probably quit
from the frustration of others not keeping a steady beat.  Replace any front
line musician and, if the rhythm section is competent but not showy, you
will probably be OK, although the replacement may be frustrated by the lack
of some skill component(s) in the other players.  I've seen a lead horn
replacement who is "better" than the rest of the band make the band shine
but be personally challenged/frustrated by the band's inability to keep
steady time.

Ron L.