[Dixielandjazz] Firecracker Jazz Band

Robert Ringwald rsr at ringwald.com
Sat May 30 11:44:00 PDT 2009

Rae Ann wrote:

Hi Bob -

Any impressions yet about how well the Jubilee/Festival
did this year?
I got the flu and wasn't able to attend. I've gotten all kinds
of reports ranging from "half-filled venues and lots of one-day
badges" to "one of the best festivals ever."
Your take?
(snip)

 Well, personally we really enjoyed the Festival.  Had very good, responsive
crowds.

I think that one thing that made a lot of folks say that it was one of the
best festivals ever, was the weather.  Very comfortable.  Add to this the
fact that there is no long bus rides out to Cal EXPO and the Red Lion Inn.
Thus it was easy to get from venue to venue.

We budgeted for what we thought we would do and it looks as if we were
correct.  The president of STJS is a CPA...

I know we made some money on the Count Basie concert Thursday night.  This
is even though we sold a lot of tickets at a reduced price, $25 for STJS
members and Festival badge holders and $15 for youth.  We ended up having to
sell SRO tickets.

having the Count Basie Orchestra on Thursday night was a big gamble and it
paid off.

I saw the Royal Society Jazz Orchestra 3-times.  They are really a great
act.

Also saw Warren Vache Jr, John Allred and Harry Allen.  IMO, they are worth
the price of admission alone.

I think we, STJS, came out OK this year but it is too early to tell.  As
soon as we get final figures, I'll let everyone know.

ITMT- make plans for the 37th annual Sacramento jazz Festival and Jubilee,
May  27-31, 2010.

--Bob Ringwald