[Dixielandjazz] Pee Wee Russell

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Wed May 27 15:31:24 PDT 2009

> Pee Wee was not playing badly - just being Pee Wee.
> Read his biography and you might then begin to understand where he was
> coming from.
> He was a musical poet - as original as Monk but few understood that until
> later when he recorded on his own and with Jimmy Guiffre.

Anybody would sound good as compared to Giuffre.  And those famous
recordings "on his own" aren't among his best - Brown spoils them.  As
to Russell - he sounds his old great self.  By the way, he made a
record with a big band arranged by Oliver Nelson, "The Spirit of '67"
- much better to my ears.

Again - I love Russell.  But the person who wrote it was there in
those clubs in the 1940's, while I was not.  I posted the query
because I could NOT conceive of Russell playing poorly (perhaps on an
off-night, but not regularly).

Regards