[Dixielandjazz] Tuba Skinny (Slim?) And His Tiny Men?

Bob Rubin rhr261 at yahoo.com
Thu May 21 20:26:30 PDT 2009

--- On Thu, 5/21/09, David Richoux <tubaman at tubatoast.com> wrote:

> From: David Richoux <tubaman at tubatoast.com>
> Subject: [Dixielandjazz] Tuba Skinny (Slim?) And His Tiny Men?
> To: rhr261 at yahoo.com
> Date: Thursday, May 21, 2009, 7:03 PM
> Hi all,
>
> This group is playing some interesting new/old OKOM, but
> they seem to have very little PR or web site - just a few
> YouTube recordings and random blog references -  as far
> as I can tell so far.
>
> Anybody know more about them? They seem to play in NYC and
> New Orleans, maybe other places?
>
> www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWliuD7Quhs
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NizLhoP6mUs
>
> > Tuba Todd and friends playing on Frenchmen St., New
> Orleans, April 29th, 2009
> >
> > Botts - Cornet
> > Shaye Cohn - Cornet & Trombone
> > Todd - Tuba
> > Lulu - Violin
> > Kiowa Wells - (sweet new) Guitar
> > Vocalist - Erika Lewis
>

> Dave RIchoux

Thanks for posting this, Dave.  I left N O a year ago and didn't know about this group. It's still another cousin of Loose Marbles, as is Baby Soda in NYC. All these groups have interchangeable players and it is a joy to witness these youngsters spreading the word about our music.

  About the players on this vid.  I'm pretty sure the tb is Barnabas - I know his playing and I can actually see him  him on the Royal St vids with this band.  The listing you copy/pasted below has Shaye Cohn on cornet and tb. It is only cornet - the person who posted the vid didn't have a name for the tb. You can hear 2 diff cornets and the tb playing at the same time. I know Shaye, Barnabas,  and Kiowa, a terrific player, on guitar because of their  playing with Loose Marbles when I lived there. I don't recognize the others. It's wonderful that still more young people are playing this stuff.

 About Shaye Cohn.  She is the granddaughter of tenor man, Al Cohn!

 Wow, among the related vids ( aint youtube great ) I was led to another differently named band with some of the players I know from Loose Marbles. The sousaphone, Jason Jurzak, is the son of a Sacramento area band member. And how about the powerful soprano playing of Aurora. The only new one to me here is the tb player - he is great. And if you haven't yet seen the singer,  Meschiya Lake, it's time.

  Try this one

   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYbXN93jnU8&NR=1

and then find her all over youtube with Loose Marbles and other groups. She is special.

  By the way, the dancers are part of the group and share the loot, as is the case with Loose Marbles.

bob