[Dixielandjazz] Jazz Quotes & Al Hirt

jazzdude39 jazzdude39 at att.net
Thu May 14 12:36:42 PDT 2009

John,

My stint in New Orleans from 1966-67 allowed me similar experiences as you
state, with Al Hirt. On many occasions I enjoyed sitting in and listening to
Al and Pee Wee with other young musicians who dropped in to enjoy the
hospitality and encouragement Al presented. He said on more than one
occasion that he thought his playing was more technical than tasty, but
proved he was capable of many approaches to playing and seemed to enjoy
meeting the younger players and sharing idea's. Danny Barker was the first
to take me to Al's late retreat and often Connie Jones, George Finola,
Irving Fazola, Cougar Nelson and Jim Haislip and would be there along with
players from some of the big bands playing around town. The booze was always
flowing and humor abounded as Al had a great sense of humor. I learned a lot
from him and will never forget those great times back when. I rarely heard
the Al Hirt on records that I heard then.

Dave Hanson