[Dixielandjazz] Jazz Quotes & Al Hirt

John McClernan mcclernan1 at comcast.net
Thu May 14 12:13:48 PDT 2009

Just to play devil's advocate....
I worked for 6 months across the street from Al Hirt's NOLA club in
1971. When we finished work, many nights we went over to his small bar
on the side street (Saint Louis St.?) and sat in with Al's combo. He
was always gracious, encouraging to young players, and very musical in
his own playing. He also knew a ton of tunes. The commercial Al Hirt
(a la "Cotton Candy") was nowhere to be found in those jam sessons. I
certainly enjoyed those sessions with Al much more than the ones with
Pete Fountain.  (Duck! Here come the brickbats!)

Cheers,
John