[Dixielandjazz] Jazz Quotes & Al Hirt

macjazz macjazz at comcast.net
Thu May 14 13:05:24 PDT 2009

I had the nerve to call Al Hirt one night about 10:00.  I was recommended
for the same intestinal by-pass that he had had.  It was a very unusual and
highly experimental surgery at the time.

He not only took my call, he spent well over an hour on the phone with me
talking about the issues and events of his surgery, then about my having
lived in New Orleans etc. and could not have been nicer or more gracious.

I asked him once about playing and was told "Oh, they'll get along without
me a set or two.  This is important."

I am much in his debt.

Mart

Martin D. McKay, Designated Listener.