[Dixielandjazz] Gig Pricing/Marketing

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Mon May 11 08:43:22 PDT 2009

Following upon the suggestions from Bob Ringwald and Kash, here are a
couple of things that work well for us.

1) With weddings, we too use a trio for the cocktail hour and then the
full band for the dinner/dancing. We also suggest the bride/groom,
burn a CD or two of their favorite songs which we play through our
sound system on breaks. This allows them to have a few rock songs if
they desire, and/or whatever turns them on besides our band offerings.
Simple enough to hook up my CD player to the sound system. Thus the
different kinds of music satisfy all age groups in attendance while
eliminating the need for a DJ. It also works well when the couple has
a favorite song, by a favorite group, for their first dance. We just
play that CD.

2) With gigs that come through an agent, or through the venue, we
adjust our pricing to allow the agent or venue to make a profit on
supplying the band. For example, if a night club or restaurant offers
us a one time gig, we, like Kash, determine who is paying. If it is a
client of the venue, and the venue is putting the entire package
together, we suggest the venue charge our regular gig price for that
type of client. (e.g a corporate party which is higher priced than a
restaurant gig) We then tell the venue what we would charge if we
booked that client direct. Then we adjust our price to the venue down
a bit so that the venue can charge the client what we would have, but
since they get a discount, the venue still makes a profit on the band.

We may lose a gig or too here and there when the restaurant who books
us for their own gigs finds our corporate price much higher, however
it also reinforces their belief that we are giving them a good deal
and builds a good future relationship.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband