[Dixielandjazz] FW: Spanish times

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Mon May 11 02:30:25 PDT 2009

Marek spoke of finding dinner earlier in Spain, but was speaking about our
"invaded shores" of the Mediterranean (Brits, Germans, etc.), where things
are different.  Also, Barcelona tends to eat earlier...8 or 9pm.

Marek continued:
>You should've warned the American listmates that it is also strong, much
stronger than the dirty water that passes for coffee in the US.

Actually, Marek, I enjoy American coffee when I go there.  I go to a 1950's
style diner when I visit Long Beach, CA (my original home) where I love the
idea of the guy pouring & pouring my cups & then paying a buck!

However, I think of it as a completely different drink. I don't try to
compare that drink to what I drink here.  I don't drink expresso in the
U.S., as it tends to be too small, and too strong (in a horrible, sour
way...I never use sugar!).  Starbucks is unbelievably nasty!  I mean what
are those ridiculously huge paper cups with a clear bubble top & a straw
coming out of it, anyway?

Anyone interested in furthering this discussion will just have to come over
here, and we'll talk about it over a proper cup, ceramic...no straw, no
cover!    No need for a cover.  No one would think about drinking & driving!
A coffee is to be had at the bar, standing up, and hopefully visiting with
the person next to you.  Yep, you don't even have to know them to have a
quick chat about the weather, politics (you can happily always have a bash
at our Mayor and be sure the other person will agree with you!), cars, or
better yet football (soccer!).   :>

Jim

Jim