[Dixielandjazz] Decline Getting Gigs

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Sun May 10 15:30:02 PDT 2009

I don't think that there is anything wrong with asking what their budget is.
A lot of leaders think this isn't a good thing but what happens if a client
just doesn't have the cash for your group?  I would ask them if their
company or group has a large affair like maybe a company Christmas party or
awards banquet.  It's possible to turn a hang up into a gig later on.  If
they thought enough of you to give you a call then they at least have a
favorable impression of you.  Fortunately for me I can go from one to 18
pieces pretty easily and can match about any budget.

I personally don't book the larger wedding receptions because they usually
turn into a lot of rock tunes near the end but I do occasionally book an
afternoon home or church reception.  I usually refer them to another band
that I work for if it's going to be a reception.

Fitting your band to the occasion is really important.  When I was in
college my agent sent us on a lot of jobs that we had absolutely no business
playing.  Remember the scene from Blues Brothers I where they were playing
behind a screen.  I have actually done that with almost the same outcome.
We played places that were out in the middle of nowhere with white dinner
jackets and playing tunes that no one in the place had ever heard so that's
something I really don't want to ever do again.

Most of the time my clients have received a mailer from me and have an idea
what I do but sometimes they haven't and it's a referral.  Oh by the way if
you don't know ask them how they found out about you.  It's a way to find
out if your advertising is working or if you are making a good impression.

As Bob said, undercutting yourself is a really bad thing to do.  It's much
better to lose a gig.  Many of my clients belong to a group called ADAM.  I
don't remember what it stands for but it's for professional recreation
directors.  Their monthly meetings have 40 or 50 of them show up.  They
exchange info on entertainment and that includes prices.  It's very hard to
pull yourself back out of that hole if you start doing it.  Word gets
around.

Many people thank that the more you charge the better you are.  That's just
a simple truth and unless you are booking the same people all the time I
would bet that a lot of the callers haven't a clue as to how much a band
costs.

Bob said > Always be professional and do your very best.  The gig may be an
ordinary
> ho-hum gig to you, but it may be a once in a life-time special gig for
> your client.

Guilty:  There was a time when I was playing a lot of gigs and they sort of
all blended into one another.  It had become a job just like any other.  I
got a wake up call when a young woman asked me why I looked so sad.  The
truth is I did.  I was going through the motions and in this business that's
sure death.  I actually had to get in front of a mirror and practice
smiling.  It just wasn't a natural thing for me anymore.  Music they can get
anywhere.  People are paying you to have a good time.  The music is
incidental to that.  They are definitely not paying to look at some guy who
wants to be somewhere else.
Larry
StL