[Dixielandjazz] Decline Getting Gigs

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Mon May 11 02:18:35 PDT 2009

Larry wrote:
>I don't think that there is anything wrong with asking what their budget
is.

I think it's great, but it's not the Spanish way.  I can normally judge if
my quote was in the customer's idea of a price range by what I refer to as
"the delay system".  :>
Depending on the length of the silence after the quote has been spoken, one
can tell, with practice, whether the quote was within the ballpark or not.

An audible gasp will tell you that you're well off. ;>
An instant answer "ok" will tell you that you could have asked for more. :<

With private people, not companies, I may ask what they had in mind if I
feel the delay time was a bit long.  If they are thinking half of what I
mentioned, it's just a polite goodbye.  However, If they aren't too far off,
I will bend downwards to meet them halfway, depending on the situation.

What I really hate is the "how do you dare charge so much?" remark.  That
kills any bargaining at all.  If they are thinking that, then, they have no
idea of what the band can do.

Jim