[Dixielandjazz] Decline Getting Gigs

Robert Ringwald rsr at ringwald.com
Sat May 9 15:37:19 PDT 2009

Both Larry and Jim Kash are really on the ball.

I always listen very closely to potential clients when they call.  I want to
know where, how big the place is, for whom, how many people they expect, and
all sorts of info, before quoting a price.  And I usually end up asking me
what their budget is.  Most of the time they will be honest about that.

I also make it very clear as to whether we are the right band for their
affair.  Nothing worse then showing up for a gig and having everyone be
disappointed because we are not a Rock band.

Luckily I am pretty versatile as to the type of music I play.  So I can work
quite a few different types of gigs.

I don't do Rock or Classical.  I also don't do C&W.  It is not that I
couldn't, I just don't want to spend the time learning the tunes.

I spent too many years making my complete living playing music.  Now, I want
to enjoy myself playing what I want to play.  I usually average 2 to 5 gigs
a week so I'm not doing badly.

For those newbys on DJML, remember, the more you charge, the better they
think you are.  Never undercut yourself or any other band or musician.

Always be professional and do your very best.  The gig may be an ordinary
ho-hum gig to you, but it may be a once in a life-time special gig for your
client.

--Bob (Now where'd they put that damn piano) Ringwald K6YBV
rsr at ringwald.com
530/642-9551
916/806-9551 Cell
www.ringwald.com
Fulton Street Jazz Band

Hear our latest CD at:
www.fultonstreetjazz.com/music.htm

Foreign aid might be defined as a transfer of money from poor people in rich
countries to rich people in poor countries.
 - Douglas Casey, Classmate of Bill Clinton at Georgetown University.