[Dixielandjazz] Struck by a Comment NSFW

Tom Belmessieri tbelmo at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 25 07:33:05 PDT 2009

Hi Mart,

Thanks for sharing your perspective.  I have read that, in those days, even the white and black musicians had to sneak off to jam together after hours.  We've come a long way.  As for the origination of the word 'jazz', my understanding is that it evolved from 'jass', which evolved from 'jackass', referring to that 'jackass music', purely a derogitory term from those who disapproved of that type of music.  I'm sure there are other versions or theories.

Tom B.