[Dixielandjazz] Struck by a Comment NSFW

macjazz macjazz at comcast.net
Wed Mar 25 07:06:25 PDT 2009

I've brought this up before and been criticized for it, but race is a major
factor in this discussion.  The fact that jazz was considered (an actually
was) a part of the Afro American society generated much of the perceived
negativisms. The reference was highly derogatory coming from a very straight
white society.

My dad (born in 1908) in Flint, Michigan had to "sneak down across the
tracks" to buy Louis Armstrong records, even in the 20's. They were strictly
a "race record" product and weren't even available in "his part of town."
When he brought them home, his mother wouldn't let him play "that nasty
music" in the house.  He had to go down in the basement and into a closed
room even there, to listen to the music.

Also, it is my understanding that "Jazz" or "Jass" was originally a
reference to fornication, not fecal matter.

Mart

Martin D. McKay, (Designated Listener)