[Dixielandjazz] Struck By A Comment

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Mon Mar 23 16:50:51 PDT 2009

> "Oh, no, I don't want to hear any jazz.  Only music  where I can recognize the
> tune."  The incident made me wonder if we do  ourselves any favors in seeking
> audiences by still using the word jazz when we  describe what we do.
> Actually in this area jazz is almost always used  to refer to music created later
> than 1940.  I did tell her that I offered a  guarantee she could recognize most
> any tune I played and sing along if she  wished.

The other day I told somebody I listened to jazz, and his rely was:
"Jazz is like coriander: you either love it or hate it."
Nevertheless, when I mentioned Satchmo and Benny Goodman, he modified
that statement and admitted he liked them.

Likewise, I've met someone who declared that he hated jazz, but liked
"rock and Dixieland (!)".

And I often ask classical music fans whether they like Karlheinz
Stockausen; in most cases, the answer is "no," whereupon I tell them
that I don't listen to the Stockhausens of jazz.

So you might be right, after all, even though, to me, the "music (?)"
referred to as "modern jazz" is not jazz at all.  Many years ago, when
asked by a jazz programme presenter what I'd call it, I suggested
"noise."  He was not too happy about it.

Cheers