[Dixielandjazz] Struck By A Comment

Gluetje1 at aol.com Gluetje1 at aol.com
Mon Mar 23 13:04:42 PDT 2009

This morning I was in a locker room of ladies making small talk while we
prepared for a fitness class.  I spoke some unrecalled sentence which  contained
a reference to listening to jazz.  A friendly senior lady  quickly responded,
"Oh, no, I don't want to hear any jazz.  Only music  where I can recognize the
tune."  The incident made me wonder if we do  ourselves any favors in seeking
audiences by still using the word jazz when we  describe what we do.
Actually in this area jazz is almost always used  to refer to music created later
than 1940.  I did tell her that I offered a  guarantee she could recognize most
any tune I played and sing along if she  wished.

Ginny