[Dixielandjazz] Struck By A Comment

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Wed Mar 25 10:26:39 PDT 2009

> "Oh, no, I don't want to hear any jazz.  Only music  where I can recognize
> the
> tune."

You have heard me on many occasions talk about the difference between
vertical as vs. horizontal jazz.  The guys that IMHO that are the best today
are those that can combine the two with good taste but I digress.

Many so called jazz players play nonsense and are just not aware of the
relationship they need to maintain between them and the audience.  Piles of
notes, even if they are technically correct, are almost never pleasing and I
can see this person's problem with jazz.

Simply put, junk is not memorable and neither are note piles.  It's kind of
like Diet Soda --- lots of fizz but with no food value.
Larry
StL