[Dixielandjazz] Michael Jackson mania on the BBC

John Petters jdpetters at btinternet.com
Fri Jun 26 04:30:35 PDT 2009

Jim Kashishian wrote:

> However, your mention of Quincy Jones & "Thriller" needs to be clarified.
>>From a studio professional's view, the recording is exceptional.  Quality &
> innovation is outstanding!  Most of Quincy's recordings show the utmost of
> quality, as do the recordings from Prince.  Not our kind of music?  Maybe
> not.  But it shouldn't be written off so easily just because it isn't.

Hi Jim,
 From a technical recording standpoint you are correct.

I'm concerned with content, however.

You can have the best equipped studio and the most talented technicians
in the world and get a first class sound - but that is all it will be.

No doubt, Jackson could sing in tune - but so could many others. Stand
him up against a later example than I quoted, say Ray Charles and where
is he?

Yes it it is subjective to a large degree, but can you in all honesty
say that Jackson's 'Thriller' is, on a purely musical basis, of the same
standard as Goodman's Carnegie Hall Concert, or Ellington's,'Black Brown
and Beige', let alone any Louis Armstrong recording.

Without doubt in my opinion, music reached a peak in the first half of
the 20th century, which for a while coincided with a mass popularity.

Then the jazzers - the new ones that is - became too clever and lost
their audience. BeBop was never the mass music that swing had been.

In the UK we had British Trad in the pop charts alongside Rock'n'Roll.
 From then on, the creative content in terms of melody and composition
declined. There are exceptions of course.

Continue to move further away from the source, which was the Blues and
Jazz and the content becomes diluted until there is virtually nothing
left, excet a relentless, in your face beat with little in the way of
content and dynamics.

Those born later of course, only get to hear what the media care to
deliver.

Forty years ago pirate radio stations churned out 24 hours of 'pop'. The
Government  caved in and re-organised the BBC, which had, up to that
time, been pretty catholic in its output. They set up Radio One, which
would provide what the piartes offered.

Radio Two was the old 'Light' programme which played a lot of live
music, including a good helping of jazz.

Nowadays if you listen to Radio Two, you will hear nothing earlier than
about 1957 in terms of musical style, with a heravy bias to 60s, 70s,
80s and 90s music.

Local radio, both commercial and the BBC are the same - so listeners get
no choice and no chance to hear other music, hence the mass hysteria
over Mr Jackson's demise.

If the media ignored when music was recorded and just allowed it to
speak for itself, then maybe, given that exposure, the confidence trick
of rock and pop would be exposed for the sham that it is and those 20,
30, 40 and 50 year olds going off to Glastonbury just might decide to go
to Upton instead.

HAGW

John Petters
www.traditional-jazz.com