[Dixielandjazz] Michael Jackson mania on the BBC

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Fri Jun 26 03:00:00 PDT 2009

John Petters wrote:
>One wonders how a serious musician such as Quincy Jones who arranged
Krupa's 1956 album, 'Drummin' Man', could produce such dumbed down waffle
as, Thriller'.
Long live real music.

John, I don't want to get into what is real music or not, nor whether MJ was
an especially talented entertainer/singer/dancer with you.  Everyone will
have their own opinion.

However, your mention of Quincy Jones & "Thriller" needs to be clarified.
>From a studio professional's view, the recording is exceptional.  Quality &
innovation is outstanding!  Most of Quincy's recordings show the utmost of
quality, as do the recordings from Prince.  Not our kind of music?  Maybe
not.  But it shouldn't be written off so easily just because it isn't.

Jim