[Dixielandjazz] Michael Jackson mania on the BBC

john petters jdpetters at btinternet.com
Fri Jun 26 02:33:32 PDT 2009

Randy Fendrick wrote:
 > Not MKOM but, MIchael Jackson died this afternoon in LA.

Dear lovers of good music,
An unbelievable amount of media coverage over here on the BBC. I was
travelling home from a gig last night as the news was breaking. All
sorts of outrageous claims that Michael Jackson was the greatest dancer,
singer, innovator of Black music etc. He also sold more records than
Bing! I doubt that.

To my ears, it was pop for the masses, devoid of anything challenging or
interesting. I hated it the first time round and my initial instincts
remain on a second listen.

Even BBC Radio Four's premier news programme,'Today' was plagued by
Jackson's irrelevant piffle.

When one considers such priniciple innovators of Black Music as Louis
Armstrong or Duke Ellingon, the vocal talents of Louis or Dinah
Washington, Sr Rosetta Tharpre, Ella, Billie, Bessie, Big Bill Broonzy
or virtually any other performer of note from the pre-rock era, then
cleary Jackson was not in the same race.

As far as dancing, if we ignore Astaire, on the grounds that he was
white and include the Nicholas Brothers, Bojangles, etc. where is
Jackson in this elite family tree of  shoe shufflers?

The human story of Jackson is a tragic one - but the lives of many of
the important jazz and blues performers have been marred with tradedy
and failure, yet what pours forth from their recordings is quality,
timing, phrasing, swing and iventiveness.

One wonders how a serious musician such as Quincy Jones who arranged
Krupa's 1956 album, 'Drummin' Man', could produce such dumbed down
waffle as, Thriller'.

Maybe he just took the money.

Long live real music.

--