[Dixielandjazz] ASCAP/BMI

Dave dave at creolejazz.com
Tue Jun 23 15:33:27 PDT 2009

This happened at the last steady gig we had. The owners got hassled so much
by ASCAP that *I* ended up having to pay the fee in order to keep the gig.

I actually got the contact information of the ASCAP rep who had been doing
the harrassing and called her in New York. Long story short, she couldn't
tell me any specifics at all about what was Public Domain and what wasn't
(meaning, she didn't know). She also confessed that any fees collected
simply go into a single fund which pays those due the royalty fees. So, no,
if we played something written by Irving Berlin, it doesn't necessarily mean
his descendants will receive money paid by the club where we were working.
It also, of course, goes to pay the salaries of all the ASCAP employees.

It was apparent that ASCAP simply throws darts at the map and attempts to
extort money from any club owner who will succumb to the harrassment and
threats. I've no doubt that Britney Spears and Michael Jackson get a good
cut, but there is no system in place for fairly dispersing royalties.

The worst part was that when I asked how ASCAP had found out we were playing
there, it was explained to me that some retired ASCAP employee had eaten
dinner in the restaurant, really enjoyed our music, then went home and
called ASCAP to "report us".

Sheesh. What a scam.