[Dixielandjazz] ASCAP/BMI

John Wilder JohnWilder at Comcast.net
Tue Jun 23 13:57:06 PDT 2009

>From David Richoux:

The problem usually comes from the ASCAP or BMI "agent" assuming that "any
and all" live performers have (or eventually will) play songs that are in
the non-PD category. . . .

"And That's Jazz" has lost several long running gigs in the SF Bay Area
because the owners didn't want to pay thousands of dollars in fees.

Now let's see - tell me again how do all of these outlandish fees and
extortion tactics of club and restaurant owners help musicians?  I think
it's just grubby hands out for the dollar!  We once lost a successful dance
venue because the club owner couldn't cover the "dance tax" our city charges
to clubs.  He was already paying the "Live Entertainment Tax".  Everyone
wants the money that musicians earn!

John Wilder

P.S. - I know someone who has several songs listed with ASCAP and has
received less than $10 in royalties to date, although he's heard his music
played on radio on several occasions.