[Dixielandjazz] Paul Desmond / Frankie Trumbauer / Dixieland

Don Ingle cornet at 1010internet.com
Tue Jun 23 10:58:38 PDT 2009

Stephen G Barbone wrote:

> On Jun 23, 2009, at 10:00 AM, Don Ingle wrote:
>

>> Desmond was once quoted as being influenced by Frank Trambauer, (as
>> was the Pres) and his straight smooth and nearly vibratoless tone
>> certainly seemed to bear that out.
>
> Sounds about right. Also, there are many out there, including me, who
> believe that Desmond's melodic line improvisations are much more
> influenced by Dixieland, than by any other jazz genre. "Modern"
> Dixieland? Maybe so as his harmonic language is a bit expanded from
> Trad Dixieland, however the roots and influence are certainly there,
> as I hear it.
>
> BTW, you thawed out yet Don?
>
> Cheers,
> Steve Barbone
> www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband

Thawed and melting. After being an average of 8 degrees below normal for
all of May and part of June, we are getting a taste of what the rest of
the Midwest has been having = 90's. For a couple days anyway, but back
to 80's after two days.
But the Hexagenia limbata are dancing on the waters of the Pere
Marquette, and I have a date to meet them after dark this very evening.
For those that are scratching their heads - it is a mayfly that comes up
out of the silty mudbanks of this first-ever US stream to be stocked
with brown trout (1884), and then mate, the fly not me alas. Well,
tonight's the night! Fly rod instead of Victor cornet in hands, I go
forth to do battle with pesky brown trout in the dark of night. It's one
gig I  choose not to miss.
Don (on the fly in the North Country) Ingle

PS: For all you CA lurkers who also fish for trout, you may wonder when
I say fish in the dark of night. Unless things have changed, it used to
be illegal to fish for trout after dark in CA. If that's changed, then
join me - vicariously - this evening.