[Dixielandjazz] Paul Desmond / Frankie Trumbauer / Dixieland

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 23 08:16:26 PDT 2009

On Jun 23, 2009, at 10:00 AM, Don Ingle wrote:

> Desmond was once quoted as being influenced by Frank Trambauer, (as
> was the Pres) and his straight smooth and nearly vibratoless tone
> certainly seemed to bear that out.

Sounds about right. Also, there are many out there, including me, who
believe that Desmond's melodic line improvisations are much more
influenced by Dixieland, than by any other jazz genre. "Modern"
Dixieland? Maybe so as his harmonic language is a bit expanded from
Trad Dixieland, however the roots and influence are certainly there,
as I hear it.

BTW, you thawed out yet Don?

Cheers,
Steve Barbone