[Dixielandjazz] Montreal Jazz Festival/Location

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Sat Jun 20 07:09:52 PDT 2009

> Picky, picky, picky. <grin>

Right!

> If not jazz, then what? I know, no doubt you would call Brubeck "noise".

No.  Quite musical, even if too bland to be jazz.

But
> I think just about everyone else in the world calls it jazz.

Isn't EVERYONE rather a lot of people?  I hark back to the mouldy old
days when "jazz" fans just rejected anything "modern."  Well, at least
by assocoation (by the time I discovered jazz, the worst part of the
war was over).  Besides, have you ever heard of "brainwashing?"  I
srongly recommend Orwell's "1984" on this subject.

>What is there
> in his music that does not fit the definition of jazz?

I don't wish to go back to the "cool" vs. "hot" dispute.

And if Desmond and
> Morello are not jazz musicians, nobody is.

In a free world, everybody is allowed an opinion, even if i don't agree with it.

Must stop now and get ready for the last day of the Caesarea Jazz
Festival.  Yesterday (ended today, of course), with the International
Swing Quintet (every member from a different country: Finland, Sweden,
Roumania, UK and USA) and the Israeli Swing de Gitanes, was wonderful.
Is the Swing de Gitanes good?  Ask John Cocuzzi who was so impressed
as to get on stage and sing with the band!  And promised to join it
again today, on snare drum (no piano od vibes on the promenade stage
where it plays).
And waht a beautiful sunset!

Cheers.