[Dixielandjazz] Brubeck is not jazz.

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sat Jun 20 09:09:23 PDT 2009

On Jun 20, 2009, at 10:09 AM, Marek Boym wrote: (that Brubeck was not
jazz)

>> Steve Barbone said
>> Picky, picky, picky. <grin>
>
> Right!
>>
>> If not jazz, then what? I know, no doubt you would call Brubeck
>> "noise".
>
> No.  Quite musical, even if too bland to be jazz.

Brubeck bland? You must be joking again.

>> I think just about everyone else in the world calls it jazz.
>
> Isn't EVERYONE rather a lot of people?  I hark back to the mouldy old
> days when "jazz" fans just rejected anything "modern."  Well, at least
> by assocoation (by the time I discovered jazz, the worst part of the
> war was over).  Besides, have you ever heard of "brainwashing?"  I
> srongly recommend Orwell's "1984" on this subject.

You seem ignorant of the fact that JAZZ WAS MODERN MUSIC when it first
attracted fans. When you "discovered" it 40 years later, it was pop
music. It had changed radically from Bolden to Whiteman to Nicksieland
to bop, etc. Then as it kept progressing, some folks went into denial
and and still try to shackle the rest of us with rigid ideas about
what is jazz, and what is not. Who can play it and who cannot. What
instruments must be used and what must not. Etc., etc., etc. That my
friend is attempted brainwashing by ideologues. It is what you and a
few other jazz reactionaries seek to do. It is time for you, and
others to give the music back to the musicians and stop trying to
impose your personal standards on those who create.  Please re-read
1984 and realize the message is for you  and others who seek to
proselytize cult beliefs about jazz.

>> What is there
>> in his music that does not fit the definition of jazz?
>
> I don't wish to go back to the "cool" vs. "hot" dispute.

What does that have to do with it? Do you purposely ignore the "hot"
aspects of Brubeck's music, or is it that you are totally unaware of it?

> And if Desmond and
>> Morello are not jazz musicians, nobody is.
>
> In a free world, everybody is allowed an opinion, even if i don't
> agree with it.

Yes, opinions are like rectums. Everyone has one. But for you to
espouse the opinion that neither Desmond nor Morello are jazz
musicians is absolutely astounding, as well as baseless.

> Must stop now and get ready for the last day of the Caesarea Jazz
> Festival.  Yesterday (ended today, of course), with the International
> Swing Quintet (every member from a different country: Finland, Sweden,
> Roumania, UK and USA) and the Israeli Swing de Gitanes, was wonderful.
> Is the Swing de Gitanes good?  Ask John Cocuzzi who was so impressed
> as to get on stage and sing with the band!  And promised to join it
> again today, on snare drum (no piano od vibes on the promenade stage
> where it plays).
> And waht a beautiful sunset!

Enjoy the festival; and the sunset.

Cheers,