[Dixielandjazz] Question about trumpet version of "Unforgettable"

David Richoux tubaman at tubatoast.com
Wed Jun 17 17:17:06 PDT 2009

I was searching my Billy May Discography - he was a major part of
Capital Records for many years and did some outstanding recordings
with Nat King Cole, but not "Unforgettable." There are several on-line
articles about Natalie Cole's Unforgettable re-recording from Nat's
sessions, but no mention of trumpet players specifically that I could
find.

If it was an instrumental version, it could be anybody! Cole did not
write the song and it was not an "exclusive" for him. Al Hirt had a
big hit with his version released on Unforgettable, RCA Victor
LSP-3979 - released in 1968 so Dartmouth might have had it available
then.

Dave RIchoux