[Dixielandjazz] A listmate's date

John Petters jdpetters at btinternet.com
Mon Jul 27 18:35:18 UTC 2009

Marek Boym wrote:
> Hello folks,
> At our jazz evening tonight, among other things  we played Wally Fawkes' "October Song" on Calligraph, with
> guest artist Al Casey.  Humphrey Lyttelton played on two tracks, but
> Fawkes (for Americans: clarinet and -on two numbers - soprano sax) and
> Ian Christie provided the meat, and it was prime!
> One of the best records of its period - the Stomp Off's "That's the
> Blues, Old Man," with the same reed players, while really good,
> doesn't get even close!  Stan Greig on piano excells, as do all the
> musicians, including the drummer - listmate John Petters!
>
> As it was difficult to find something to equal that record, we changed
> to piano

I missed this the other day. Nice to be reminded of a bit of a uniuque
session and one upon which I found my self accidentally on.

Al was booked to appear at the Square in Harlow, Essex that Sunday night
in 1986 or was it 85 - not got the LP handy to check..

I had to collect him from the Pizza Express in Dean St, Soho in the
afternoon.

When I arrived, he was just about to start recording an album for
Humph's own label under the joint leadership of Wally and Ian.

No drummer had been booked for the session as the great Stan Greig was
going to play some tracks on piano and some on drums.

I had recorded with Wally a little prior to this date and he had made
pleasing comments about my playing. He made me an offer I couldn't
refuse. Would I like to play a few tracks on the session for no money -
but Wally and Ian would do a free gig in exchange at Harlow at a later date.

You can imagine may answer!

Jack Fallon was on bass, and Humph, the producer, decided to get his
horn out and have a blow on a couple of numbers.

It was a terrific experience - the session went well and it got me on
record with a whole bunch of fine players.

Sadly Humph and Al have now gone and dear Stan is very ill and is unable
to play.
I'm glad your group of friends enjoyed it Marek.

Keep swinging
John

--
John Petters