[Dixielandjazz] A listmate's date

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Thu Jul 23 22:41:25 UTC 2009

Hello folks,
At our jazz evening tonight, among other things (Joe Venuti, Red
Nichols) we played Wally Fawkes' "October Song" on Calligraph, with
guest artist Al Casey.  Humphrey Lyttelton played on two tracks, but
Fawkes (for Americans: clarinet and -on two numbers - soprano sax) and
Ian Christie provided the meat, and it was prime!
One of the best records of its period - the Stomp Off's "That's the
Blues, Old Man," with the same reed players, while really good,
doesn't get even close!  Stan Greig on piano excells, as do all the
musicians, including the drummer - listmate John Petters!

As it was difficult to find something to equal that record, we changed
to piano - the immaculate Dave McKenna playing the music of Arthur
Schwartz.
We also let the Ukrainian Nemiroff Distillery to make some profit.
Cheers,
Marek