[Dixielandjazz] Swing Dances - Song Length - Tempo

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Mon Jul 20 14:19:33 UTC 2009

I think we should not generalize about song length and tempo when
playing for swing dances. We have run across many different
ramifications. For example:

1) Tune Length. Some events ask us to play tunes between 3 and 4
minutes long. Because a) kids learning to dance do so to records and
they are 3 minutes long and b) Since it is polite to dance with anyone
who asks, sometimes they will get a dud for a  partner and want to
change off ASAP.

2) Tempo. Learner dancers want tunes at fairly moderate tempo, say
between 110 and 160 beats per minute. More experienced dancers may
well prefer faster tempo. And the really excellent dancers will do a
Balboa or Charleston at 280 bpm, loving to strut their stuff.

So what to do? Mix it up. I always tell the kids about the dances at
the Savoy where the bands played much longer than 3 minutes and that
my band will vary between 5 and 8 minutes etc. Unless we get that
specific request to keep the length down. It helps, of course, when I
tell them that I played at The Savoy in the early 1950s before it was
torn down.

When we are among friendly swing dancers who follow us, we challenge
them to a high speed That's A Plenty for about 8 minutes and
afterwards hug the sweaty girls.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband