[Dixielandjazz] By Ned, we invented the genre

Dave Gannett evidence at otelco.net
Sat Jul 11 15:18:19 PDT 2009

Wow - a night to treasure!  I always LOVED quizzing the "old-timers" about
their days in the business - walking time machines with hilarious and often
stunning insights into their contemporaries.  When I was with the Don Ellis
band I lived with Manny Klein, the great studio trumpet of Hollywood's
Golden Age, and would talk with him about such matters.  He had AMAZING home
movies of the Dorsey brothers, Jerry Colona and a host of other well knowns
in full party mode, which included ample evidence of ignited materials being
used in a sport context.  Sure wish I had those movies!  Same with Wild Bill
when I played with him in the '70's - man, the STORIES! (and what a grumpy
old cuss...)  Like you, I did countless nights in clubs such as Rosie
O'Gradies.  I thought I would quite literally GO MAD if I had to play "The
Saints" or the Can-Can one more time!  My drink of choice was a double 151
rum on the rocks on each break.  Never got drunk or disorderly, just knocked
the crowd back a notch or two.  As you well know, you hit "the wall" like
runners do at a certain point and you either get through it or kack.  Once I
got through the wall though, I apparently had a callous on my brain and the
tunes no longer bothered me.  During the heyday in the '70's and '80's in
Orlando, it was entirely common to work 7 days a week day and night for
months at a time, doing two eight hour gigs plus casuals on the side.  We
had the same experience at Rosie's - huge book but played the same basic
group of tunes 'cuz THAT'S WHAT THEY WANTED.  Fortunately we had some great
players, great subs, great arrangments (though by far most of our stuff was
"head") and a crowd of 1500 for each show 3 and 4 shows a night.  I can
remember literally falling asleep with my tuba, sitting on my stool and keep
right on playing - I'd wake up a couple of measure later and my subconscious
had taken care of business while I was gone.  A weird feeling.  It was kind
of cool though, after weeks and months of only 4 hours of sleep a night,
everything became a giant dream - sometimes wasn't sure whether I was
dreaming Mickey or he was dreaming me!

You had some great experiences playing in the apple, Steve.  One day I'll
proceed with the book stuff.  Meanwhile, those interested in reading some of
my stories (at least, those I haven't pissed off by being honest) can go to
http://www.tubagear.com and click on "Today's Tuba Talk" at the top of the
page.

Keep playing like you need the money...

dave