[Dixielandjazz] By Ned, we invented the genre

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Sun Jul 12 15:57:41 PDT 2009

Lifestyle!
Read Humph's "I Play as I Please," or George Melly's "Owning Up"
(warning - you might laugh so hard reading the latter as to piss in
your pants) and you'll find out that the British players also had a
lifestyle of their own!
Actually, trying to emulate earlier styles, they invented a style of
their own which is as it should be, and what happened to Lu Watters
and his gang when they were reviving New Orleans jazz.

And as far as repertoire goes - Steve mentioned elsewhere that someone
indicated that traditional bands should play certain tunes, but not
others.

A few years ago, our Good Time Jazz played three nights at the
Tel-Aviv Jazz Festival (in those days, it was called Jazz, Blues and
Videotape), three 54 minute sets per night, and hardly repeated a
tune, except for the inevitable Saints.

Cheers