[Dixielandjazz] By Ned, we invented the genre

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sat Jul 11 14:41:19 PDT 2009

Please write the book Dave. Too much will be forgotten if you don't.
Like last night I did a gig with Marty Grosz and we talked about life
and jazz in the "good old days." I have to say it was one hell of an
interesting night. He should write a book too as he played with just
about everybody and he has a hell of a perspective on the music. His
stories about Joe Sullivan are hillarious. And his opinion that
Reginald Kell ruined Benny Goodman's sound and energy level was
interesting. It made even me, who hates musical archeology, want to go
back to the records to check it out

Back in the late 1950s I worked 6 hours a night, 6 nights a week for 3
months straight in a Dixieland joint in NYC. Our book was no more than
150 tunes but we rarely got to play even them in a week because the
customers demanded the same 30 or 40 Dixieland War Horses time and
again. I can well understand how earlier musos got into booze and
drugs in that scenario. I quickly became a Dixieland zombie and my
booze intake soared to a pint of gin per night. I had great chops
during that gig, but creativity suffered and I was thankful when it
ended and I got to gig with other bands.

You could see that kind of thing with Wilbur DeParis at Jimmy Ryan's.
Even the great Omer Simeon got pretty routine, playing High Society at
least 6 times a week for a couple of years. He just stared off into
space on the tune, but unlike Sullivan who played intermission piano
there, he didn't curse out the college kids who asked silly questions,
or made those war horse tune requests.

Cheers
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband