[Dixielandjazz] These turbulent times

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sat Jan 31 09:38:56 PST 2009

Musicians and Band leaders may be interested in this survey taken by
the Greater Philadelphia Cultural Alliance. My band generates several
gigs every year through non-profit cultural organizations like these.

Interesting to note that those venues which rely on ticket sales seem,
so far, to be holding their own. However, those relying on investment
income, or corporate grants to fund programs are experiencing
declining support. Most of them are also cutting their programming
expenses

Luckily, most of our gigs of this nature are ticket funded and so we
neither lose them for lack of funds, nor are we asked to cut our fees
for 2009. But, who knows what will happen in future. - SUPPORT THE ARTS.

Cheers,

Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband

January 30, 2009

Subject: REGION'S CULTURAL ORGANIZATIONS ADAPTING TO TURBULENT TIMES

First quarterly survey gauges the impact of the economic climate on
the region’s nonprofit arts and culture organizations

Greater Philadelphia Cultural Alliance Contact: John McInerney johnm at philaculture.org
  215-399-3515

Philadelphia, PA – The Greater Philadelphia Cultural Alliance today
released the first results of TempCheck, a quarterly survey gauging
the impact of the economic climate on the region’s nonprofit arts and
culture organizations.  Ninety-two organizations representing a wide
range of budget sizes and disciplines responded to a questionnaire
assessing the effects of the economy on their fundraising,
programming, and other activities.

“Cultural organizations are incredibly valuable to our communities,
especially in times of stress and change,” said Peggy Amsterdam,
President of the Greater Philadelphia Cultural Alliance. “This survey
demonstrates that they are also adaptive and resilient in this current
financial crisis.”

Findings of the survey include:

* Earned income from single tickets sales, subscriptions, and
memberships is holding steady. Revenue from investments and other
sources, however, is trending downward, with 24% of respondents
reporting a decline of more than 25% in investments and other earned
income. This issue is particularly acute in larger cultural
organizations.

* On the whole organizations are not cutting back on the amount of
their programming, but they are seeking ways to decrease program
expenses.  Seventy-four percent of respondents haven't and don't
expect to decrease program activity, yet 23% have already reduced
budgets for their programs, and 51% expect to do so in the next six
months. A quarter of respondents are altering their programming to
lower costs, and 47% expect to do so in the next six months.

* Corporate support is declining, with 35% of respondents reporting
less income from corporate donors.  This finding holds true across
organizational disciplines and budget sizes.

* Investment in staffing, marketing and development is holding fairly
steady, with just over a quarter (26%) of respondents having  reduced
staff size or hours to lower costs, while the majority (67%) haven't
and don't expect to at this time.  Organizations are continuing to
invest in fundraising and marketing, but many are implementing
different strategies to maximize the impact of those efforts.  "We
have changed how we spend our marketing dollars," said one respondent,
"with an increase in more direct marketing approaches and more
aggressive advertising. To do this, we have diverted monies from
collateral materials."  Regarding fundraising, another respondent
stated that, "we are intensifying contact even with modest donors."

* Respondents expect that collaborations, mergers and consolidations
will occur.  Forty-five percent of respondents have, or expect to,
collaborate or consolidate programs or operations with another
organization.

* More respondents felt things are likely to get worse rather than
improve over the next six months.  Forty-two percent of respondents
believe that things are likely to get worse over the next six months,
while only 10% feel things are likely to get better.  Forty-eight
percent say things are likely to stay the same. "We're just moving
along and doing what we can right now during these tough times," noted
one respondent. "Our goal is to continue to keep the arts alive and
bring quality performances to the area."

The Cultural Alliance plans to field TempCheck on a quarterly basis to
measure shifts over time.  The survey will be administered again in
April 2009.  Full survey results available upon request.

On behalf of over 375 member organizations, the Cultural Alliance
leads the effort to increase awareness of, participation in and
support for arts and culture in the Greater Philadelphia region.

JOIN. CONTRIBUTE. PARTICIPATE. ADVOCATE. ATTEND. SUPPORT.