[Dixielandjazz] your tax dollar2

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Sat Jan 31 05:33:38 PST 2009

A similar gig as my aforementioned "desert gig" happened with the 524th Air
Force Band at Torrejon AB, Spain (mid '60's):

The Air Force band boarded a C47 (a prop plane which could only fly below
10,000 ft as the cabin was not pressurized) to fly to the northern city of
Santiago, Spain.  We were to arrive just before a General who was flying in,
also, and play for him as he got off his aircraft.

The flight was to have lasted about 1 hr., but due to bad weather we were
put into a circular flight path in the north, going around & around in the
same spot.  At less than 10,000 ft in a storm, the ride is not particularly
nice (understatement!), and many were sick.  I found that if I lay on the
metal floor near the door (holding on to the cargo hooks sticking out of the
floor), I could rest my hot face on the cool metal, and also get the benefit
of the fresh air coming in from the cracks around the door (honest!).

Our morale was even lower when we heard that the General was flying above
us, way above the storm in his private jet, and we couldn't head back home
until he aborted his landing!  We all imagined him enjoying his steak & wine
while waiting out the storm, which didn't help the already dodgy tummies on
board our bumpy plane.  It was well over an hour of this stormy holding
pattern before we were told the General had headed back to Torrejon, and
that we could return as well.

There was no music that day, although I'm sure you'll all agree that your
tax dollar was still well spent again.  The band wouldn't have been doing
anything, anyway, accept maybe practicing, and all the pilots & crews got in
their training & necessary monthly flight time.  Plus, the medical people
got plenty of action for the ailing band members upon arrival.  Work for
everyone!

Jim