[Dixielandjazz] "worst gig"

David Richoux tubaman at tubatoast.com
Sat Jan 31 10:45:50 PST 2009

Since a lot of these "Worst Gigs" are parades, I will mention some also.

I have been in the Los Trancos Woods Community Marching Band ( http://www.ltwcmb.com
  ) since 1978 and we do quite a few parades every year. Once, during
a St. Patrick's Day parade in San Francisco the rainy weather was the
strangest i have ever marched in. Every other block we would march
into a rain squall - "wall of water," freezing cold - then on the next
block it would be glaring bright sunshine! I had a good raincoat on,
but I was playing an upright tuba, so it would fill up the bell with
rain water each time.  Not a great time...

A few years later we were invited to play for a Saratoga (CA) school
opening parade. We were one of the few non-motorized (or non-horse )
units in the parade and the route was almost five miles long. Blazing
hot, trudging along a two-lane road (with traffic coming the other
way) though a semi-rural area with next to no audience - and at the
end of the parade all they had for refreshments was Kool-Aid and
Cookies! We were not allowed to have our signature rolling beer cart,
because it was a "school event," and there was no way for us to get
back to the starting point where our cars were parked... we hitch-hiked.

Ever since then we have been much more selective in determining which
new parades we will actually do!

Dave Richoux