[Dixielandjazz] Piper Laurie and Lee Wiley

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Thu Jan 29 21:56:36 PST 2009

Ron Wheeler replied [in part]:
> Wikipedia's Jess Stacy entry http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jess_Stacy
> has an
> amusing quote: referring to Wiley at the time of their
> divorce ........

Dear Ron,
Back in the 1960s, while writing the cover notes for a Jess Stacy LP,
I was unable to include facts regarding his musical activities in the
early 1930s, so mailed him annotated notes requesting the missing
information.
(Always start at the top has been my golden rule.)
The real gentleman I had assumed him to be, he retyped everything
(said it was easier), filling in the missing information and adding
things we did not know about at that time.
A real coup for me.
In his very friendly covering letter, he thanked me for my tactfulness
in not referring to his "unfortunate marriage to Lee Wiley."
Back in those days we rarely, if ever, referred to a jazz musician's
unhappy private life.
Unfortunately, all that came much later.
Very kind regards,
Bill.