[Dixielandjazz] Vale Sam Meerkin

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Thu Jan 29 12:50:44 PST 2009

Dear friends,
The following sad news has just been received from my mate, Melbourne
pianist Maurie Fabricant.

> At about 6:00 pm today, Sam passed away following several months of
> continually deteriorating health, cancerous growths having taken
> hold of so many parts of his body that cure was believed to be
> impossible.
> Those of you who attend The Australian Jazz Convention and sundry
> jazz festivals may well have bumped into Sam. He also attended just
> about every Victorian Jazz Club-conducted event; not surprising as
> he was a Committee member for several years and was one of the small
> group who shared the task of setting up the VJC's sound equipment.
> His knowledge of traditional jazz was both broad and deep - he
> conducted a jazz program on one of the Melbourne FM-radio stations -
> and he frequently travelled overseas to attend all manner of jazz
> events.
>
> A funeral notice will probably appear in Saturday's edition of "The
> Age". The funeral itself may take place as early as Sunday; I'll
> endeavour to keep you informed via email.
>
> I'm sure Sam's partner, Evelyne Perks, would appreciate a card or
> note; her address is 6 Brendan Avenue, Doncaster, Victoria, 3108.

Sam was a quiet, but active and efficient Australian jazz foot-soldier
and friend, known to many for his wonderful support to jazz both here
and overseas.
He was a DJMLer for many years, up until his recent illness, and will
be known to many in the US from his regular attendance at jazz
festivals there.
I will post more details when known.
Very kind regards,
Bill.