[Dixielandjazz] Live vs. Recorded Inauguration music

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sun Jan 25 21:21:10 PST 2009

Mart McKay macjazz at comcast.net  wrote:

"You folks all should have realized it was taped whn you looked and
saw Pinky and Yo Yo Ma playing instruments from WalMart."

Yes indeed we should have Mart, or when we looked and saw Gabriela
Montero playing that beautiful piano with gloves on. <grin>

Turns out the only guy who might have been heard live by somebody
close by was McGill on clarinet, but who knows how loudly he was
blowing? I'm sure he did not want his spittle to freeze inside that
nice clarinet. <grin>

According to a Washington Post article, the piano action had been
disabled so no sound from it was possible and both Perlman and Ma had
soaped their bows to reduce the friction across the strings of those
borrowed instruments which all but eliminated sound. I'll bet the bows
were WalMart issue also and not their usual ones which can cost
upwards of $10,000.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband