[Dixielandjazz] Syncopation

Anton Crouch anton.crouch at optusnet.com.au
Mon Jan 26 03:05:37 PST 2009

Marek wrote:

I've just watched the film "Syncopation."  Other than the all-star
band, no musical credits were given.  Any idea who is hiding behind
the characters in the film?
Cheers

Hello Marek

Where were you able to see "Syncopation"? I'm most envious - I've been
seeking this movie for ages.

The story of its production is poignant. Jelly Roll Morton was signed as
"technical adviser" in April 1941 but became sick and died before
production began in Los Angeles (in October 1941). It seems that Hall
Johnson was hired in his place. The "All American Dance band" sequence
(with Benny Goodman etc)was filmed separately in New York in February 1942.

The extent of Bunny Berigan's involvement is not clear. Bill Haesler's
listing (which is a re-working of the material in the American Film
Institute Catalog) does not mention him. It seems that Leonard Maltin is
the source for Berigan doing the dubbing for the actor Jackie Cooper and
Russ Connor (in "BG, on the record") is the source for Berigan doing the
dubbing for Rex Stewart.

That someone dubbed for Jackie Cooper is not in doubt - but is it
Berigan? The AFI Catalog contains the following:

>According to materials contained in the RKO Archives Production
Information Files at the UCLA Arts Library--Special Collections,
legendary trumpet player Bunny Berigan was hired, early in Jan 1942, to
dub the cornet passages which had been filmed earlier using guide
tracks. However, that was not an easy task to perform and a modern
source suggests that Berigan, who was battling alcoholism and would die
six months later, may have had part or all of his work redone by George
Thow. Rex Stewart, cornet player with the Duke Ellington band, appears
in the film in a role apparently modeled on Joe (King) Oliver.<

We need to see and hear the movie. Marek, you didn't keep a copy did you?

All the best,
Anton