[Dixielandjazz] What's this about?

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Sun Jan 25 22:14:59 PST 2009

  David Gannett wrote [in part]:
> That "exploding tuba nonsense" was offensive to a lot of die-hard
> absolute trad purists...but then again, they weren't playing to sro
> crowds and breaking sales and attendance records wherever they
> went.  Silly me.

Onya Dave,
Our current band has a direct lineage back to a popular Australian
band that used all that "nonsense' and toured the UK in the late 60s.
In fact, our late clarinet player blamed his hair loss on his nightly-
exploding bowler hat.
Our ex tuba player's instrument was battered and unsalable when he had
to leave the band some years back for health reasons.
Silly them.
The rehearsal stories from that old band are hilarious.
I'm sure my dear mate Don Ingle has some gooduns to back up your
comment.
There should be more of it - if we want to get our music out of
sterile concert halls and back into the pubs where the kids can hear it.
Very kind regards,
Bill.