[Dixielandjazz] Is Nick LaRocca the creator of Jazz

macjazz macjazz at comcast.net
Wed Jan 21 16:28:12 PST 2009

The possible answer is in the dichotomy between the races at the time.

La Rocca was raised on one side of the "tracks" and "people of color" were
raised on the other.  While there may have been some crossover musically
(most notably in Storyville and possibly other areas in New Orleans), there
really was very little communication or understanding of anything going on
outside each individuals part of society.  There was also the concept that
"people of color" couldn't really accomplish very much. They just didn't
have the ability. (Consider in our own recent past the reluctance to have a
black quarterback on your football time and the current dearth of Afro
American coaches at the college level.)

La Rocca may have inadvertently heard or even known of some hot music.  But
since he was the first and certainly the foremost in the white (or what he
considered to be the "existing" society) there was no question in his mind
that he invented jazz.

Please note, this is not in any way, nor is it intended to be the playing of
any kind of a "race" card.  It is a historical review of the society as it
existed at that time.

Mart

Martin D. McKay, Designated Listener