[Dixielandjazz] Is Nick LaRocca the creator of Jazz

John Petters jdpetters at btinternet.com
Wed Jan 21 15:18:54 PST 2009

Hi Marek,
Whilst I disagree with La Rocca's claim to be the inventer of jazz, same
as I disagree with Jelly, it is easy for folk to overlook what he did
achieve.
The ODJB was a hard driving band. Yes their improvisations may have been
limited - but these were early days and the world had not had the joy of
Armstrong.
Notice how rhthmically free the band was compared to early Fletcher
Henderson for example - or the the Wolverines.

I think being born in New Orleans at that time had more to do with
playing jazz than the race card although I will maintain it was the Afro
Americans who were the superior players in those days.

For my money the 1936 sides by the ODJB are desert Island discs,
especially Tiger Rag. There is a pretty rough transcription here
http://www.redhotjazz.com/songs/ODJB/tigerrag3.ram
but if you don't have the record give it a spin.
The rideout chorus is a gas.
La Rocca sounds a bit like Keppard. Sbarbaro is magnificent.

Cheers
John

--
John Petters