[Dixielandjazz] Is Nick LaRocca the creator of Jazz

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Wed Jan 21 14:44:48 PST 2009

It seems that the sarcasm is unwarranted, as is making fun of Ms.
LaRocca.  She is family, so she tries to reestablish Nick LaRocca's
place in history.  And the New Orleans source is family, too.

I've read a bookabout the ODJB, written apparently in the 1950's, in
which the author reiterated Nick LaRocca's claim to have invented jazz
as absolute truth.
So?
OK, we know better, but we don't know everything.  Whites in New
Orleans have been playing jazz at least almost as long as blacks.  So
that LaRocca's claim to have invented jazz is not more preposterous
than Jelly Roll Morton's.  And if neither really sired jazz, they sure
were there on time to rock the cradle.
Cheers,
Marek