[Dixielandjazz] Drummer from New Orleans coming to Auckland New Zealand

jay buck drummerjaybuck at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 13 15:37:49 PST 2009

Looking for friends in Auckland New Zealand!!! Does anybody have a guest house to rent???  Im a trad drummer coming to Auckland!  Please read!!!

    My name is Jay.  I am currently looking for a room or living space in Auckland New Zealand for me and my friend from Osaka Japan, Mio.  We will arrive February 14th.   I would like us to live with someone who speaks Japanese and good English.  She will be attending English classes at AUT.
     We will need a room or living space furnished for at least 3 month’s.  maybe longer.  Mio and I met while I was working and performing at Universal Studios in Osaka Japan.  I am a world traveled professional musician, entrepreneur, creative business man.  And have also restored and remodeled and designed and built homes coast to coast in America for 14 years.
     I am a young 34, she is 22.  We are both fun, respectful, healthy,….. Like to have fun people.  If you know anybody… or anything.. That may help us find a good living situation with someone Japanese who speaks good English contact me  at drummerjaybuck at yahoo.com    Thank you .. Jay Buck

Jay Carlton Buck, born December ,29th 1974 in Marshall, Missouri...  started playing drums in church at the age of 8.  Beginning band and studying music in the sixth grade,.. through High School, played professionally many musical's at the Lyceum Theater , the Mid West's oldest professional Theater at age 16.  In addition won many awards, and contests becoming one of the top Big Band drummers in an All State Auditions 2 years in a row.  On a music scholarship to Central Missouri State University, he was the only first year student to make the top graduate Big Band.  While studying commercial Jazz Performance.. his weekends were spent hanging out and sneaking in clubs in Kansas City where in the early 90's there were still many musicians and Swing dancers from the real Big Band Era.  Which transformed for Jay, more into a lifestyle than a form of music.

     While in College.. nightly he was at Jazz and Blues Jams,.. and not long after gigging seven night's a week.   Playing with such names as Sonny Kenner, Roland Allen, Mamma Ray, Cotton Candy Washington and her so Many Men, Bob Schenblin..  he was picked up at age 19 to tour and perform with Abby Locke of Chicago, original horn section leader for The Howlin Wolfe, Muddy Waters, Otis Rush,.. B.B King..Rolling Stones.

    Upon his return to Kansas City,.. by chance he ran into a very well known drummer in from New York named Artt Frank.  Artt having played with Bird, Billie Holiday, Bill Evans, and Chet Bakers drummer of 28 years took jay under his wing,.. gave him a torch..and made him a true keeper of the flame  a sense, of Americas only true art form Jazz.  In the years that followed, from that moment on moving from Kansas City to Georgia, Portland Oregon,.. gigging all over america and studying privately with such great drummers as Mel Brown,(Temptations, Supremes, Marvin Gaye, Stevie Wonder, Diana Ross, 37 years in Motown. Bernard Purdie, most recorded Motown drummer in history and for Aretha Franklin James Brown. Graham Lear-Santana. Donnie Osborne, Buddy Rich's only student and only drummer of leader lyricist/singer Mel Torme.

     Playing with many names, and bands ..... house gig's, club dates and concert's 1993-1999  Jays craft was worked as he freelanced, and began to lead his own what he called Coretet..  he called it a Cortet due to the number of musicians he would have.  His personal self and life, with his influences od Buddy rich, Art Blakey,Artt Frank, Idris Muhammad,Zigaboo, so many..  people were turning out packing the club to hear the standards.. and some very funked out arrangement's..   Bobby Watson- sax great , Bill Manness-Hammond B3, Ken Berry-sax.. Leroy Vinegar, Thera Memery, Dan Fanehle guitarist for Diana Krawl.

     In 1999  Jay moved to New Orleans, and within 3 days was working 5 day's a week on Bourbon Street, playing blues, funk,.... and began to live and master Traditional New Orleans Dixie Land Jazz.   Playing day and night he was finally at home.  New Orleans, drummer Shannon Powell know for driving the Harry Connick Jr. band / Diana Krawl ...became a good friend and began to call Jay to sub and fill in for him on gig's in New Orleans after spotting the new young white drummer playing with New Orleans top call Jazz Artist Kermit Ruffins and the BBQ Swingers.

      The food and the culture of New Orleans took hold,  Hanging and playing with many all black bands, which no white boy from the upper north which does not typically happen... was when Jay had finally arrived at 27 he was proven and confident.  As the house drummer 5 day's a week with Dwayne Burns at the Maison Bourbon, playing also with Jack Fine, Jack Meheu, Evan Christopher, Rebirth Brass Band, Leroy Jones, New Orleans Jazz Vipers, Washboard Chaz, Kevin Clark, Davis's "All That Band" Alex Chilton (Box Top's/Big Star, Kirk Joseph(Dirty Dozen Brass Band, Matt Prine and many more.

     In 2002 Jay went to Tour Europe with "Steam Boat Willies Red Hot New Orleans Jazz Band"  Festivals in Switzerland, Germany, Spain, Amsterdam.  After that 3 month stint,.. began living between New Orleans and Germany freelancing as a "Gun for hire!"  2002-2004.  Life and career were seriously disrupted after Hurricane Katrina hit New Orleans.  While stuck in Missouri played with "The Wild Women of Kansas City".. winning The Kansas City Jazz group of the year in Pitch Magazine and played a concert with Jay McShan.

     A year after the storm he returned home and  began to play and rebuild New Orleans also doing construction.  After Katrina he recorded with Steam Boat Willie in New Orleans, once again played with Kermit Ruffins..and other's  as the town and devastated music scene began a rebirth.2004- December 2007.

     At the present Jay continues to play with numerous band's and projects and lives' between New Orleans and Missouri. Most recently he preformed in a show(dancing/acting/choreography) for Universal Studios Japan, in a show scripted around swing music, New Orleans second line funk, and Traditional Dixie Land Jazz in 2008.  Currently seeking musicians and band's in New Zealand.