[Dixielandjazz] Trips on a Time Machine

Ken Mathieson ken at kenmath.free-online.co.uk
Tue Jan 13 17:11:11 PST 2009

Hi Guys,

The sound of people throwing their toys out of their prams has become a bit tedious of late, so how about a light-hearted thread about the music? In one of my recent posts on live vs recorded jazz, I mentioned that the first trip I'd make if ever get my hands on a time machine, would be to hear Armstrong Hot Five on its only public performance in the Wabash Theatre in Chicago on 27 February 1926. Given that most us prefer to hear bands playing live, and given that Louis had set Chicago on fire after returning from New York, that has the potential to be one of the most memorable jazz concerts ever.

Some of my other visits would be to hear Armstrong's 1947 Symphony Hall gig live and, being greedy, the Carnegie Hall concert a couple of weeks beforehand - according Michael Minn's Louis Armstrong Discography website it was recorded by RCA, the tapes are in their vaults, but don't appear to have been issued. I'd also like to attend some of the Bechet and Wild Bill recording sessions provided I could take along my old pal Roy Williams. Roy used to have an occasional nightmare in which he got a telephone call booking him to play a session with Bechet and Wild Bill. He always woke up in a cold sweat at the prospect, so it would nice to take him along to see his face.

Maybe some other listers would like to offer their time machine choice(s). It's got to be more interesting and enjoyable than the recent semantic wars.

Cheers,

Ken Mathieson
www.classicjazzorchestra.org.uk