[Dixielandjazz] Sacred Tunes in a Secular Setting (was: free Trad Jazz arrangement)

David Richoux tubaman at tubatoast.com
Mon Jan 12 12:36:02 PST 2009

As was discussed here a few years ago, the lyrics to "Gilligan's
Island" fit right in to the "Amazing Grace" tune (but it does not seem
to work as well the other way around.)

I do know that several major New Orleans musicians chose not to "jazz
up" any religious based songs - can't remember their names right now.
We ("And That's Jazz") do a moderately swinging version of "Amazing
Grace" sometimes, but not "Old Rugged Cross."

Dave Richoux