[Dixielandjazz] Sacred Tunes in a Secular Setting (was: free Trad Jazz arrangement)

James O'Briant jobriant at garlic.com
Mon Jan 12 11:25:24 PST 2009

Kent Murdick wrote:

> > Here's a trad jazz arrangement of an up tempo "Amazing
> > Grace" I made for 8-12 grade. ...

Ron Wheeler replied:

> Hmmm... Up-tempo Amazing Grace.  What's next... Old Rugged
> Cross Cha Cha?

This brings up an interesting topic: the use, in secular venues
and situations, of sacred melodies (that is, melodies that almost
always have sacred lyrics and are considered by most listeners to
be "church music).

For example, I have a recording (from the '30's?) of a song that's
labeled "Black Eyed Peas" on the CD.  I don't recall the band or
the singer.  The lyrics are:

	Just a bowl of Black-eyed Peas,
	Plate of ham hocks if you please.
	Salt and pepper makes me sneeze.
	Just a bowl of Black-eyed Peas.

The tune, however, is "Just a Closer Walk With Thee."  I've been
in one situation where a musician objected to playing this tune in
a secular venue with the secular lyrics.  He considered it
sacrilegious, or at least disrespectful, to use what he considers
a "church song" with the above lyrics.

Anyone else run into issues like this, either with performers or
audiences?

Thanks!

Jim O'Briant
Tuba